This is a recipe of my own, and a favourite for cold winter evenings.
- Bring the soup mix and pearled whole wheat to a slow boil with the water and a dash of salt in a large. Reduce heat and boil slowly for 40 minutes.
- Reduce the heat, and add the vegetables in layers. Replace lid and simmer for 45 minutes to 90 minutes, until all the vegetables have been cooked through.
- Mix the spices with the vegetable stock, and add to the vegetable mixture in the pot. Stir through gently, replace lid and simmer for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Sift together the dry ingredients. Rub margarine into dry ingredients.
- Slowly mix in the milk until you have a firm batter that is still slightly moist.
- Spoon batter onto vegetable mixture and replace lid. Do not stir the vegetable mixture from this point on. Simmer over low heat for 20 minutes or until the dumplings are cooked.