Originally from the best-ever Vegetarian cook book.
- 10ml olive oil
- 12 dried cannelloni tubes
- 450g broccoli – I used tenderstem broccoli, which may not be the best idea, because it lengthens the cooking and blending time considerably
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 150ml milk/soy milk
- 60ml olive oil
- 1cup ricotta cheese
- pinch of grated nutmeg
- 90ml grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- 30ml olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 6 tomatoes, chopped
- thyme and oregano to taste
Preheat oven to 190°C/375°F
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil, add the olive oil, and simmer the cannelloni, uncovered for 6-7 minutes or until it is nearly cooked. Drain and rinse under cold water, reserve.
- Steam or boil the broccoli for 10 minutes until tender. Drain the broccoli and leave to cool, then blend until smooth.
- Place the breadcrumbs into a bowl, add the milk and oil and stir until soft. Add the ricotta, broccoli, 60ml of the parmesan and nutmeg. Mix.
- Spoon the cheese mixture into a piping bag and pipe into the cannelloni. Place them in rows into a greased, oven-proof dish in the tomato sauce. Brush the tops with a little olive oil and sprinkle over the remaining parmesan. Bake in the oven for about 25-30 minutes until golden.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the onions and garlic. Fry for 5-6 minutes until soft.
- Stir in the tomatoes, herbs and spices and boil rapidly for 2-3 minutes.