|We like having fun with food every now and again, and Tacos make a fun meal, especially because each person get to choose their own fillings.|
I tried a lentil filling this evening, and again even the carnivores enjoyed it.
Preparation time: 50 minutes (including boiling the lentils)
- 1 cup lentils, uncooked
- 1T olive oil
- 1T crushed garlic
- 1T crushed ginger
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- Small punnet of mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ water
- 1T minestrone soup powder
- Oregano, Paprika to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1T sugar
- 1T chilli sauce
- Boil the lentils until soft – about 45 minutes. Tip: boil without salt to cook soft.
- Heat olive oil in large pan. Lightly fry crushed garlic and ginger. Reduce heat.
- Add mushrooms and cover with lid and fry until slightly browned and ginger and garlic flavour is released.
- Add cooked lentils, stir well and fry lightly.
- Add tomatoes and stir through. Replace lid and allow to simmer for about 10 minutes until tomatoes have cooked in.
- Add water and stir in soup powder.
- Add remainder of ingredients and allow to simmer until the liquid has cooked away.
Use as taco filling with fresh lettuce, chopped tomato and cheese to taste.