My first attempt at Butternut soup did not turn out all that bad – the entire family loved it. And considering they all hate butternut, it says something. Unfortunately, we decided that we liked it and wanted to keep the recipe once it was finished, so I didn’t get a picture, so this is a picture of a butternut flower – from our garden - instead.
- 500g butternut, cubed
- 2 to 3 cups Vegetable stock
- 3 to 4 sprigs of lemon grass
- ~380ml coconut milk (one large can)
- Salt to taste
- 2t sugar
- Bring the vegetable stock to a boil with the salt.
- Add the butternut, cinnamon and lemon grass, and boil until the butternut is cooked through. I mashed it regularly until it was all soft and mushy.
- Remove the lemon grass.
- Blend until smooth. If there is still a lot of liquid left, strain the butternut first.
- Slowly blend in the coconut milk. You may need to do it in batches.
- Return the mixture to the pot, return the lemon grass sprigs. Cook over a low heat for about 20 minutes. Serve warm.