We had a whole bunch of bananas that were all suddenly going brown, which means the family will no longer eat it. Instead of throwing them away, we decided to bake a banana loaf instead.
The recipe could also easily be used for muffins.
- ½ cup (two overfull table spoons) butter or margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 5ml vanilla essence
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 to 6 bananas, mashed
Preheat the oven to 180C
- Cream the butter and the sugar together. Mix in vanilla essence.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time until fluffy
- Sift in the flour and baking powder and beat well.
- Mix in the bananas
- Pour into a well-greased loaf tin (or muffin tray) and bake for an hour
We served with Caramel Treat (cooked condensed milk) as soon as it cooled enough to cut and it was very moreish.